Water Damage Claim Insurance

How to make a water damage claim on your home insurance

If your home has been damaged by water, you may be wondering how to make a water damage claim on your insurance policy. Water can cause extensive damage to your property and result in significant financial loss. If you’ve suffered water damage to your home, then we are on hand to help you when making a claim so you get your full entitlement. 

In this article, we’ll cover the different types of claims that can be made and what information is required in order for your insurer to process it. So, if you want to learn how to make a water damage claim on your home insurance, then keep reading.

Water Damage Claim Insurance

If you have a leak in your home that results in damage, you may need to claim on your home insurance policy. The term your insurance company use for this type of claim is an ‘escape of water’. 

Most policies will cover the damage that has resulted from the leak e.g. replacing ceilings, floors, kitchen units, bathrooms, etc. However, in certain circumstances cover can be denied, such as if the leak is from faulty seals or wear and tear.

Also, don’t assume that you have the correct amount of insurance cover for water damage caused by leaks. While most homeowners insurance policies may include cover, it’s the level of insurance cover provided that should be of most interest to you. As experienced insurance assessors, PCLA have the skills and knowledge to make sure your claim is for the full amount. 

What are water damage claim examples?

At PCLA we have managed many water damage insurance claims for our clients. While there are many potential causes the most common examples include:

  • Burst pipes or leaking joints
  • Leaks from washing machines
  • Leaking feed pipes to dishwashers
  • Leaks in bathrooms from waste pipes of showers & baths 
  • Frost damage to mains pipes in attic spaces
  • Leaks from heating pipes in concrete floor slabs
  • Overflowing toilets
  • Radiators valve leaks

If you suspect a problem in your home but can’t find a leak, please ask PCLA for leak detection advice.

How to avoid getting your water damage claim denied

You might think your insurance policy covers you for water leak damage, but your policy can have exclusions. We recommend that you speak to one of our expert claims assessors who can help you understand the terms of your policy.

One of the benefits of working with an independent insurance claims assessor is they will know how to ensure your claim is made in full. You don’t want any surprises down the road. For example, PCLA will send a qualified building surveyor to your home to conduct a free survey of the water damage. It’s our job to make you aware of the full extent of the damage caused, some of which can’t be detected without specialist leak detection equipment. 

Your insurance company may send a loss adjuster to assess the damage caused and determine the cost of repairs. We will liaise with the loss adjuster on your behalf. PCLA will also compile all costs needed to reinstate your home. It’s our job to present your claim to the loss adjuster and your insurance company in the most complete way. This will ensure your claim is managed as efficiently as possible. 

Insurance Stats for water leaks

Did you know: Water leak damage is the most common cause of property damage claims, with insurers paying out an average of £1.8 million per day. Source: Association British Insurers

  • 87% of all ‘escape of water’ claims come from burst or leaking pipes.
  • Most leaks or burst pipes are discovered during the summer and autumn. 
  • 20% of leaks are discovered in the kitchen.

Have you experienced water leak damage and need to make a claim? Our promise is to get you the best possible settlement under the terms of your insurance policy. Call us today to find out how.

Water Damage Claims Tips

If you need to make a water leak damage claim on your home insurance, then make sure you follow these steps before contacting your insurance company.

Turn off the water

It might seem obvious, but to prevent further damage, you can turn off the main water supply to your home. This will prevent any further water from entering the property. If you are unsure what to do, please call PCLA on 028 9581 5318 and ask for help. 

Take advantage of our free survey

Arrange your free survey today. We usually call out within 24 hours. This way you’ll get a true understanding of the scale of the issue.

Contact PCLA for free insurance claims advice and support

It’s important to have the damage fully assessed by an independent water damage claims assessor. PCLA are qualified building surveyors and experts at spotting the full extent of the damage. If you don’t get to the source of the problem, you could face further water damage in the future. It’s vital to get everything fixed at this stage as your house insurance policy might not provide cover for damage noticed down the line.

Leak detection

Ask PCLA to identify the cause of the water leak. We use the latest leak detection techniques to ensure we find the source of the problem. We know from experience that water leaks can cause thousands of pounds worth of damage if left untreated. Leaks can be coming from pipes located in places that are hidden such as in concrete floors, walls or behind concealed spaces such as kitchen units. We are able to arrange to have these leaks traced and repaired.

Do you want fast-track reinstatement for your water damage claim?

If you need to make a water leak insurance claim on your house insurance, contact PCLA today. Our goal is to make sure your water damage claim is resolved as quickly as possible. 

PCLA promise to get you the best possible settlement under the terms of your policy.

Why use Property Claims Loss Assessors (PCLA)?

At PCLA, we understand that the insurance claims process can be very frustrating. That’s why we’re here to help you. As experienced loss assessors, we will manage the entire claims process on your behalf. Our goal is to ensure you receive everything you are entitled to.

Our Loss Assessor Service includes:

  • First survey free of charge with no obligations.
  • Remember, we are appointed by we work for you!
  • Damage assessed within 24 hours.
  • We compile all costs needed, so there’s no need for you to get builders estimates.
  • We talk to the insurance companies so you don’t have to.
  • We will review your insurance policy and check your level of insurance cover.
  • We meet with the loss adjuster, so you don’t have to.
  • No win, no fee. All money goes to you, not us!

PCLA are experienced Loss Assessors, Building Surveyors and Insurance Practitioners. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

Related Articles

Loss Adjusters Belfast

Loss Adjusters Belfast

Are you looking for a loss adjuster in Belfast? Do you need help dealing with your insurance company? PCLA can provide you with impartial insurance claims advice.

Can you claim for burst water pipes on your home insurance?

Can you claim for burst water pipes on your home insurance?

If you’re unfortunate enough to experience a plumbing emergency such as a burst pipe, it’s important to know if you can make a claim on your home insurance for the damage. For most people who have a home insurance policy the answer is yes, you will be able to make a claim.

What types of property claims does a loss assessor manage?

What types of property claims does a loss assessor manage?

A loss assessor will manage any type of insurance claim covered by an insurance policy. In this article, we’ll uncover the reasons why you should consider working with a loss assessor if you need to make an insurance claim for property damage.

Request a free survey

Call 028 9581 5318 for free claims advice and support. If you prefer, you can leave your details and we’ll call you back to arrange your free property damage survey.