Contact Us For Free Advice & Survey

Can you claim for burst water pipes on your home insurance?

Can you claim for burst water pipes on your home insurance?

If you’re unfortunate enough to experience a plumbing emergency such as a burst pipe, it’s important to know if you can make a claim on your home insurance for the damage. For most people who have a home insurance policy the answer is yes, you will be able to make a claim. However, you will want to make sure you get the settlement you are entitled to.

Are you insured for water damage in your home?

You can ask PCLA to review your buildings insurance policy if you aren’t sure if you are covered. Insurance companies include cover for ‘insurance perils’ such as ‘escape of water’. If your policy includes cover for escape of water, you should be covered as standard.

This type of water damage is typically caused by frozen pipes in winter or by leaks in the bathroom or kitchen. If you don’t address the root cause quickly, the damage to your property can spread and the longer you take making a claim could have disastrous consequences.

Escape of water claims can become complex and require detailed knowledge. In order to make sure you get the maximum payout under the terms of your policy, you should work with a loss assessor such as PCLA.

At PCLA we can answer the following questions:

  • Is track and trace included? How do I find the source of the leak?
  • Does my policy include cover for additional damage caused by leaking or burst pipes?
  • How much excess do I have to pay?
  • What if I need to move out while the work is getting done, does my insurance cover the cost of alternative accommodation?
  • Does my buildings insurance include cover for a rebuild?

If you are in any doubt, please contact PCLA today to get the reassurance you need.

Do you have accidental damage included in your policy?

Most insurance companies offer ‘Accidental Damage Cover’ as an added extra. It does not come as standard. Accidental damage provides protection for unexpected damage caused to your property or possessions. Examples included overflowing sinks or broken floor tiles.

If your leak has been caused by an accident, please call PCLA on 028 9521 2991 and ask for advice on how you can make an escape of water insurance claim.

What’s the best way to claim for water damage?

The easiest and best way to make a claim for water damage is to engage a professional loss assessor such as PCLA. We work on your behalf and take the burden and stress of dealing with the insurance company away from you. Ask PCLA to manage your insurance claim today.

Colder temperatures can lead to frozen pipes.

With unpredictable winter temperatures, it is easy to suffer burst or cracked water pipes.
In freezing temperatures, residual water in pipes can expand causing pipes to crack leading to water damage.

Here are 4 steps you can take to reduce the risk of burst pipes due to freezing temperatures.

  1. Fix any dripping taps. This could be as simple as replacing a washer.
  2. Check the lagging around your pipes and near your boiler. Pay particular attention to exposed pipes and joins.
  3. If you are away from the house for a period of time, keep the heating on a timer. Even an hour a day can help keep things running smoothly.
  4. You can also ask a friend to pop in and check your house to make sure everything is as it should be.

What can you do to prevent leaks or burst pipes causing damage to your home?

If you find a leak or discover a burst pipe, you must turn off the water supply. Do you know where your stopcock is located? Stopping the flow of water will limit the extent of the damage. However, always ask a trained professional to assess the damage. PCLA are qualified building surveyors and know how to fully investigate escape of water claims.

  • If you suspect a leak, check the obvious places first. Seals around baths and showers can break easily.
  • Are your drains clear? Even a slight blockage is capable of causing damage over the longer term.
  • Never drill into a wall without first considering if there are any pipes or electrical wires.
  • A drop in water pressure could be a sign you have a leak in the system.
  • Do you find a lot of unexplained water around your house? This could indicate a burst pipe.
  • Are your pipes noisy? You could ask a plumber to check if everything is in order.

Can you fix a leaking or burst pipe yourself?

Unless you are a qualified plumber we wouldn’t recommend tackling pipework. You could end up doing more damage and you could void any potential insurance claim.
However, there are steps you can do to prevent any further water damage.
The first thing you should do is to turn off the mains water supply at the stopcock.

Next, call PCLA on 028 9521 2991 to ask for free advice. Don’t take the risk of causing further damage. You should seek professional advice as quickly as possible. You do not want to take action before you know how it could affect your insurance claim. Our qualified surveyors will be able to tell you how to proceed with dealing with the leak or burst pipe. We also have reputable plumbers to call upon.

If you need help with a burst pipe water damage claim, contact PCLA today and ask for our help.

Related Articles

Water Damage Claim Insurance

How to make a water damage claim on your home insurance

In this article, we’ll cover the different types of claims that can be made and what information is required in order for your insurer to process it. So if you want to learn how to make a water damage claim on your home insurance, then keep reading.

Northern Ireland Loss Assessor

Northern Ireland Loss Assessor

PCLA are a leading Loss Assessor firm operating throughout Northern Ireland. As an independent company with over 20 years experience, we know how to make sure our clients get their full entitlement.

What are the most common home insurance terms?

The easy way to understand home insurance terms

Do you struggle to understand your home insurance policy? Don’t worry, you’re not the only one. Even though these documents are complex, they often contain standard terms that you will see throughout the document. Here’s everything you need to know about the most common home insurance terms in your policy.

Request a free survey

Call 028 9521 2991 for free claims advice and support. If you prefer, you can leave your details and we’ll call you back to arrange your free property damage survey.