How to make a home insurance claim in London

If you’re a homeowner in London, you may be wondering how to make a claim on your home insurance policy. In this article we’re going to outline the best way to make a claim for property damage in London.

Read on to find out how to make a claim on your home insurance in London.

How does a homeowner in London make a claim for property damage?

Sometimes making a claim on your home insurance in London can be a daunting task. It can be difficult to know what to do and when you need to do it. It’s ok to feel like that. You’ve just suffered damage to your home and the last thing you want to do is deal with an insurance company. There is a way you can make a claim and not have the hassle and stress of dealing with the insurance company. Use a loss assessor in London to manage the claim on your behalf.

What are the steps involved when making an insurance claim in London?

The easiest way to make a successful home insurance claim in London is to use a loss assessor who provides a claims management service. They remove the burden and stress and compile all of the paperwork. They’ll even negotiate with your insurance company and deal with the loss adjuster.

How do I make a claim on my home insurance in London?

However, you can try to negotiate a claim by yourself. The steps to making a claim in London will vary depending on the nature of the property damage claim and the insurance company who holds your policy. However, there are some common steps which should be followed when making a claim.

Read your insurance documents

The first step is to find your insurance policy documents and interpret the specific clauses relevant to your claim. If you have experienced a leak in a pipe, does your policy include track and trace? You want to know as much about your policy and what you’re covered for before you contact the insurance company.

Make Contact

The next step is to contact your insurer as soon as possible after you become aware of any damage or loss. This is so they can begin their investigation into the cause of the damage or loss. They’ll also need to record all details about the incident. Therefore you’ll need to know the following:

  • What happened?
  • Where did it happen?
  • When did it happen?
  • How much damage has been done?
  • The estimated cost of repairs
  • Any other information you think might help them understand the situation

There are usually two ways you can make the initial contact with the insurance company. 

  1. Phone them and deal with their call centre staff. At this point you’ll have to be patient as they are not going to have any real answers for you. They will just be gathering information and you’ll be placed in a queue for one of their claims specialists to contact you. 
  2. Complete an online form. In order to do this you’ll need as much information as you can. We’d recommend getting a 2nd opinion from a builder or someone with specialist knowledge as some of the damage may not be obvious to the naked eye.

Claims Advisor

The next step will be to deal with the claims advisor appointed by your insurance company. These are busy people and will be looking after many claims. Again, we’d advise you to remain patient. Even though you’ll want answers and you need to get your home back to normal, there is a formal process to go through.

Manage the Loss Adjuster

Once you’ve contacted your insurer, they’ll usually send someone to inspect the damage. This loss adjuster will conduct a thorough inspection, take photos and measurements and compile a detailed assessment of the damaged area.

They’ll then write up a report detailing everything they found during their inspection. This report will determine the settlement figure offered by the insurance company. 

Negotiate with the Insurance Company 

This is often the most challenging and stressful part of the insurance claims process. When you get an offer, how do you know it will cover your costs? How do you know the offer includes everything you are entitled to under the terms of your contents insurance policy?

What about your buildings insurance cover? You may be entitled to claim under both your contents and building insurance. This is one of the advantages of using a London Loss Assessor. We’ll be able to interpret your insurance documentation and make sure you file a complete claim. 

London House Insurance Claims: Frequently Asked Questions

Is it worth claiming on home insurance if I live in London?

If you live in London, you may be able to claim on your contents or buildings insurance policy. However, you should only consider this option if you have a good reason to do so. In general, if you have suffered property damage and are sufficiently insured,  then yes, it is worth making a claim. That is afterall, why you pay your buildings insurance premium.

There are many factors that could influence a successful claim on your buildings or contents insurance policy. We offer free advice and support over the phone. Call us today to find out how we can help you get everything you are entitled to.

How does making a claim on home insurance work?

Making a claim on your home insurance can be time consuming, stressful and frustrating. However, by engaging a local loss assessor in London, you can remove the stress and hassle. Call us today to arrange your free property damage survey and ask us to take the stress away from your home insurance claim.

Do you need receipts to claim on house insurance?

If you want to make a claim on the contents of your house, you’ll usually need to provide receipts for, (or photos of), any items that have been lost or broken. You’ll be able to find this information in your insurance documentation.

If you’re insuring something valuable, such as jewellery, artwork, or antiques, your insurer may require proof of its value before covering it.

What if you don’t have proof? 

Receipts are the most reliable forms of evidence. If you haven’t kept your receipts, there might be a record of the purchase on your bank or debit/charge account statements.

If the item was a gift or family heirloom, it’s unlikely that you’ll have a receipt for it. In these instances, it’s always best to take photos and/or have the item valued – in case you need to make a claim.

How long do house insurance claims take in London?

It might take anything from one week to a month or even longer for an insurance company to finally settle a case. It really depends on a number of factors including the type of claim and its complexity. We promise to make sure your claim is managed as efficiently as possible. With us negotiating on your behalf you can be sure that we will try to get your claim settled, to your satisfaction as quickly as possible.

If you haven’t already started your claim, call us today to get your claim going.

What type of home insurance perils can you claim for in London?

When you take out an insurance policy, you will cover yourself for a loss that the insurance company refers to as perils. For the most complete answer, please call us today and we can help interpret your insurance policy. However, most buildings and contents policies cover the following home insurance perils:

  • Fire damage: perhaps you’ve experienced a kitchen fire at your London home?
  • Water damage: Have you experienced a leak in your bathroom and have suffered damage to your floor? Find out to make a Water Damage Insurance Claim in London.
  • Storm damage: London experiences quite a lot of storms each year. It’s important to ensure you have adequate cover in place
  • Accidental damage: your home contents policy may include accidental damage cover for items such as laptops, TVs etc. However, not all policies do. Please call and ask for guidance before making any claim.
  • Flood damage: The average claim for flood damage is over £31,000. These are complex and we would strongly encourage you to seek independent advice from a local London Loss Assessor. They will provide you with impartial advice as they represent you.

There are many types of perils that your policy might cover you for.

If you live in London and need help making a home insurance claim, get in touch for free advice and support. We take the stress out of insurance claims.

Request a free survey

Call 028 9581 5318 for free claims advice and support. If you prefer, you can leave your details and we’ll call you back to arrange your free property damage survey.